September 2017 Minutes
BECKETT RIDGE HOA MEETING AGENDA
September 19, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Tri-County Baptist Church Fellowship Hall
Call to Order: Debbie Olszowka called the meeting to order at 6:27 pm.
Attendance: Board members in attendance included Debbie Olszowka, Russell DeVane, Errol Feldman, Larry Huton, Dennis Bender and Dave Burling. Suzanne Anton was absent with notice. Tony Wilson represented GroundsPro. Spring Kersey and Nancy Fay represented Stonegate Property Management, Inc.
Approval of Previous Meeting Minutes: August, 2017. Dave Burling presented a second page of items that were not recorded by Towne Properties. Debbie Olazowka motioned to approve the minutes provided by Towne Properties. It was seconded by Russell DeVane.
8460 Eagle Ridge Dr.
Owner asked, with the change in management, what is going to happen with the annual dues? Debbie commented that nothing at the moment. The budget will be done later this year.
8460 Eagle Ridge Dr.
Owner commented there are several dead trees in the common area which are liabilities for the community. Is there a plan to remove them? Mr. Bender said there are no plans at this time to remove them.
Mr. Jim Matre of Matre Law, said the Association has the obligation to take reasonable care. If a tree could cause harm, the Association should address it.
8651 Rupp Farm
Asked the Board: Who is responsible if a tree falls? Mr. Matre said it would be considered an Act of God.
8852 Timber Chase:
Commented he’s been told that if a tree is hazardous and you notify the owner in writing, the party is then liable if the tree falls. Mr. Matre said that every dead tree does not need to be cut down.
8651 Rupp Farm Drive.
Asked if the Association has liability insurance in the event of an accident such as a drowning in the creek, or other mishap? Mr. Matre commented the property is owned by a corporation and carries insurance. Mr. Matre said the law generally presumes that people understand that the woods are the woods. There is no strict liability.
8460 Eagle Ridge Dr.
Commented on the amount of traffic on Eagle Ridge South. Due to the new round-a- bout. Property Owner said it is hurting the property values. What can the homeowners do? Mr. Bender said it is a public road. In order for the Association to address the concern, the road would have to be gated. Which is not an option as the Township would not allow it to happen.
Mr. Matre suggested that homeowners attend the Township meetings that is the best and only way to deal with the problem. Ms. Debbie Olszowka also suggested reaching out to Lakota West High School, as their drop off is not designed well.
Mr. Wayne Schleimer commented that he had submitted a violation form in March. This was regarding a 5ft high white fence at 5731 Woodbridge Dr. Ms. Debbie Olszowka said that Towne Properties would have received the violation report and apologized for the lack of follow up. She also commented that the fence in question is a pool fence and is acceptable.
Mr. Schleimer also submitted pictures (of a deteriorating driveway and a broken garage door) to the Board to see if they warrant a violation. The violation is on the NE corner Eaglet. Mr. Schleimer did not have the exact address. Mr. Matre said there is a process for violation that should be adhered to.
Dennis Bender and Larry Huston commented on the pictures submitted, that there is no restriction on driveways or garage doors. Debbie Olszowka comment that it would be possible to send a nice letter requesting that the issues be taken care of, but the board has no recourse if it is not done.
Mr. Schleimer also commented every time he attends a meeting, there are concerns about money. He suggested that fees be increased at least 5 to10% a year for a 3-4 year period to allow the Association to address the needed maintenance and violations.
1. 8088 Quail Meadow Lane Oak composite deck – Approved
2. 8277 Medinah Ct Oak Deck with Vinyl rails. – Approved
3. 5418 Leaf Back Dr. Pressure Treated Wood Deck. – Approved
4. 8272 Eagle Ridge Dr. Kentucky split rail fence – Approved
1. Grounds Pro:
A. Maintenance Calendar:
Will be emailed on 9/20/2017 to the Board and Stonegate Property management.
B. Mowing, bed maintenance;
Backing off the irrigation to 2-3 days per week. Summer annuals will be removed and the fall annuals installed in the coming week. Broadleaf weed control is mostly completed.
C. Maintenance Items
A bid will be submitted for a mass tree removal at the October meeting. A homeowner on Steeplechase emailed Stonegate Property Management, regarding trees in Saratoga Farm. There are 4 dead crab apple trees that the homeowner would like to have removed and replaced. Mr. Wilson suggested checking the property lines so they can be brought closer to the yards. He will submit a bid to remove the trees and also to remove and replace. He is not sure there is enough space to install new trees without encroaching on homeowner property.
Mr. Wilson will email a proposal tomorrow for the creek clean out in the Woodland Glen drain. The bid is $8118.50 including tax. Mr. Huston commented some of the embankments are extremely steep and asked if cleaning the area will increase the problem. He also asked if preventative maintenance should be done. Mr. Wilson said the debris on the hillside is from the homeowners. Machines will not be on the hillside but rather in the creek itself.
Ms. Debbie motioned to approve the proposal via email. Mr. Burling seconded. All in favor.
E. Information / Follow-up
Mr. Burling will contact the Township to determine if the stolen grasses from Deerpath need to be replaced.
The straw mat that was installed behind Joe’s Halase house 8651 Rupp Farm Drive, is still there and seems to be doing its job.
Mr. Wilson and Mr. Bender will meet before the next meeting so a recommendation can be made on other sections of the creek repair. The fences have been replaced. Mr. Bender is also involved in conversations with the Township and they (Township) want to get the county involved. Mr. Matre created a letter detailing the responsibility of: Owners, Association and the Township.
A. The operating and reserve accounts have been opened at US Bank. Towne Properties said they would turn over $1,000 on September 15, 2017, but as of 9/19/17 this has not occurred. The balance of the funds should be picked up after the September financials have been reconciled.
B. Introduction letters were mailed to residents on September 11, 2017.
The resident list received from Towne Properties was not up to date with the Auditor’s site. Stonegate Property Management wanted to ensure that we had the correct homeowner information before sending a mailing.
C. The first September violation report was sent to the Board on September 14, 2017. Another site tour will be completed the last week of September. Requesting Board to specify when they want they want the second site tour violations log sent. A summary should be sent 7 days before the meeting. Continually send the improvement apps to Brent.
D. The property managers have received passwords for the community website and made the changes of removing the name of the previous management company.
E. Stonegate Property Management will be sending letters to all residents with a past due balance. This letter will give those 30 days to dispute any charges. Residents with liens will be given the option to negotiate a payment plan to be submitted to the Board for approval.
F. Playground Reports:
Windbrook Drive VR3,
During the site tour, it was noted that the plastic wall on the platform of the play set the top two corners are broken off and very sharp. Needs to be replaced.
Steve Ellis, of Recreations Outlet, has been asked to submit bids for the repairs.
Per Dave Burling: Need to find a better quality basketball netting. That will not rip as easily.
A. Butler County documents on the Round-A-Bout at Beckett and Smith Roads: Was presented to the board. Stonegate Property Management took possession of the paperwork will Scan and send each member of the Board a copy. Mr. Burling and Mr. Bender, met with Shirley Oney, the Butler County Right of Way Specialist, to review the easement for road purposes. The county want award the Association $537 in exchange for the property (see document). The Board wants the county to either save the large pine tree by moving it to a different location. Or to pay what it is worth.
B. Quick Claim Deed – Parcel ID – M5620300000022 on the 5.3037 acres – the land was not deeded to the Association by the Developer. TP had been paying taxes on the property. Ken Campbell, of Planned Development Property, is willing to sign the document. But has not as of yet, and is as of the date of the meeting on vacation.
A. Stonegate Property management received the August Financials in the mail from Towne Properties on 9/18/17.
B. Who are the signers for the Beckett Ridge Association CD’s? Is it Board Members or was it Towne Properties? – This question was not answered at the meeting. Stonegate Property management will email question to the board.
Communication – Violation – Payment Plans: All logs were reviewed.
A. Beckett Road Traffic Circle Compensation – The round-a-bout easement at Beckett and Smith Roads. Mr. Burling and Mr. Bender, met with Shirley Oney, the Butler County Right of Way Specialist, to review the easement for road purposes. The county want award the Association $537 in exchange for the property. The Board wants the county to either save the large pine tree by moving it to a different location. Or to pay what it is worth.
B. Rupp Farm Flooding:
The Board has ongoing discussion with West Chester Township regarding this issue, township wants to get the county involved. Mr. Matre submitted a document outlining the legal responsibilities of the Association, Township and County.
C. Walking path paving – Pinnacle started the work on the walking path. Work was halted because TP forgot to communicate with Mr. Wilson that work was being done and that the walkway needed edged. The work will now be completed in late September or early October.
D. Supplemental Restrictions:
Revisions were reviewed, and agreed upon. Other sections were reviewed and Board voted on some verbiage changes. These changes will be reviewed at the next meeting.
A. The Board wants to find a secure location to store Association Documents. Russell DeVane will look into this.
B. Possibility of changing monument signs light to LED. Issues in the past: The lights are low voltage. The wires were not put in conduit and are often cut by shovels.
C. Mr. Burling has contacted Shirley Oney, with Butler County and requested information on who to contact regarding getting street lights changed. Last night (9/18/17) Mr. Burling marked 8 lights that are out in the round-a- bout.
Next Meeting: October 17, 2017 at 6:30 pm.
Adjournment: 8:34 pm.